February 7, 2011
PASS© and Executive PASS©:
- The Council is proud to announce that the PASS partnership between Village Academy and the Kobacker Foundation will continue. The CEO is David Pollay, the principal is Guarn Sims, and the coach is Dave Goldstein.
- New Executive PASS partnerships in Miami-Dade include:
- Scott Lake Elementary, Valerie Ward, Principal — Business Partner, Tom Ramsey, Blueprint Educational Group;
- Benjamin Franklin Elementary, Mary Gil-Alonso, Principal — Business Partner, Kathy Johnson, AT&T (retired); and Roy Perez, John Hancock Financial Network;
- Natural Bridge Elementary, Janice Hutson, Principal — Business Partner, Daojun Hauptman, John Hancock Financial Network.
- Steve Wasserman, Board member and PASS CEO at Boyd H. Anderson High School in Broward, spearheaded the school's recent Career Day for all juniors and seniors. Over 75 presenters from various careers shared their expertise with the students. Most presentations were informal and hands-on to ensure that the students had ample time to ask questions. One of the presenters was David L. Cook, a Boyd Anderson graduate and 6 time Emmy Award winner. He is a Christian Music singer, songwriter, and entertainer.
Leader-to-Leader: Sharing Successful Business Practices:
- Participants in the Leader-to-Leader project met on January 19th at William H. Turner Technical Arts High School to review the program. It forms partnerships among principals, business leaders, and educational leaders to improve the academic performance of the children at the 13 schools involved. These schools are: Arcola Lake Elementary – Vanady Daniels, Principal; Van E. Blanton Elementary – Tangela Goa, Principal; Broadmoor Elementary – Linda Klein, Principal; Benjamin Franklin Elementary – Mary Gil-Alonso, Principal; Lakeview Elementary – Dr. Sharon Lewis, Principal; Miami Park Elementary – Sandra Banky, Principal; Henry E.S. Reeves Elementary – Julian Gibbs, Principal; Carrie P. Meek/Westview Elementary – Tracey Crews, Principal; Lawton Chiles Middle – John Messersmith, Principal; Madison Middle – Dr. Tonya Dillard, Principal; Westview Middle – Robin Atkins, Principal; American Senior High – Luis Diaz, Principal; William H. Turner Technical Arts High School – Lavette Hunter, Principal.
- Luis Ulloa, engineer and business partner for William H. Turner Technical Arts High School, spends time with students in the Construction Academy, working on the designs of a real project so they can have a real world experience.
A Perfect Partnership:
Dr. Jean Teal, Principal of Fulford Elementary School, and Sheldon Anderson, CEO, Southeast Region at Northern Trust Bank, have established an Executive PASS Partnership that works. Mr. Anderson is an example of a committed business partner who genuinely cares for the welfare of the faculty, staff, students, and parents of Fulford. Due to his expertise, the resources he has allocated, and his sincere generosity, the following great things have happened and are planned to occur this school year.
- Dr. Teal, Mr. Gaudin Charles, the school’s Community Involvement Specialist, and Kelsey Hirsch, Vice-President of Northern Trust met to discuss the refurnishing of the Parent Resource Center with furniture donated by the bank.
- The entire faculty and staff enjoyed a Holiday Reception/Dinner in the private dining room at Northern Trust Bank overlooking beautiful downtown Miami.
- Two bicycles will be donated for a raffle for all fourth grade students scoring a 6.0 on the 2011 FCAT Writing Assessment.
- Two outstanding fifth grade students will be selected to receive $500 each for their outstanding academic performance.
- A Financial Literacy Mentoring Program for students in grades four and five will begin in the Spring and culminate in a field trip to Northern Trust Bank just before the end of the school year.
Mentor math and science teachers involved in the Helios Education Foundation Teachers and Teaching Initiative met on January 22, for a third day of training and collaboration this school year. This initiative focuses on the development and retention of new teachers, and examines the three essentials for classroom success. Schools from Hillsborough, Pasco, Pinellas, and Polk Counties are involved in this successful teacher support model generously funded by the Helios Education Foundation.
A printable version of the Update is available for download below.
Council for Educational Change Board....Florida's Educational Think Tank
Gene E. Marshall, Chair • Dr. Elaine Liftin, President and Executive Director
Founder, Leonard Miller
Andrew L. Ansin • Philip F. Blumberg • Hugh M. Brown* • Columba Bush • Charles E. Cobb Jr.* • Irv Cohen • Scott A. Curtis • Dr. Akshay Desai
Willard D. Dover, Esq.* • Edward W. Easton • T. Willard Fair • Thomas J. Flood • Edward T. Foote, II • Karen Fryd • Dr. Robert W. Graham, III
Bill Habermeyer • Steven T. Halverson* • Alfred Hoffman, Jr.* • Elsie Sterling Howard •Cyrus M. Jollivette • David S. Kenin Esq • Jonathan I. Kislak
Daniel W. Mahurin* • Beth G. Martinez* • Philip G. McNally • Jeffrey Miller • Sue Miller • Robert A. Morris Jr. • Robert Moss • Beau Parrillo • Fred F. Pezeshkan
Charles E. Porter • Andrew S. Rosen • Peter S. Rummell • Steven J. Saiontz • Michael Scheck • Roger Slade • Elliott Stern* • Steven J. Uhlfelder
Gwynn C. Virostek • Keith T. Ward • Steven Wasserman • Lynne Wines • Dr. Paul Zimmerman • Robert A. Zinn *Life Trustees
3265 Meridian Parkway Suite 130 Weston, FL 33331 phone: 954.727.9909 fax: 954.727-0990 www.changeeeducation.org