At the Tenth Annual Leonard Miller Principal Leadership Award Event, three outstanding Gold Medallion Winners were each awarded $10,000.
Dr. Patrick Galatowitsch – Principal of Fern Creek Elementary School in Orange County. Under his leadership:
- Fern Creek received its fourth “A”
- 89% of the students received a 3 or above on Reading FCAT
- 87% of the students received a 3 or above on Mathematics FCAT
- Not a single student has been suspended in the past two years
Cheryl Quarles- Gaston – Principal of Carter G. Woodson Elementary School in Duval County. Under her leadership:
- Carter G. Woodson moved from and “F” to an “A”
- The school moved from being one of the lowest performing in the state to one of the highest performing in the state
- 95% of the students made learning gains in Reading
- The school earned 92 points in learning gains
Dr. Rosann Sidener - Principal of Miami Beach Senior High in Miami-Dade County. Under her leadership:
- Miami Beach High moved from a “D” to an “A”
- Advanced Placement enrollment doubled from 635 to 1376
- Students set personal goals for learning, not only for the FCAT but also for Grade Point Average and college entrance requirements
- The AVID (Advanced Via Individual Determination) program includes 453 students formerly earning “B’s” and “C’s” who thrive in advanced academics
PASS and Executive PASS...
- Cypress Creek Elementary has received a $25,000 grant to implement the “Let’s Go” robotics program as a way to attract students to STEM. This year’s funds have been used to purchase supplies for this cutting edge robotics program and to pay four staff members to oversee student learning. Students build robots using “Lego NXT Mindstorms Robotics Kit”; and program the robots to successfully complete missions. The 25 fourth and fifth grade student participants meet for two hours after school twice weekly. Recently, the PASS team visited Cypress Creek and observed students in action. The energy and enthusiasm was contagious; and, the higher order thinking skills employed was impressive! Students are readying themselves for their first regional competition where they will have 2 ½ minutes for each of the nine mission completions. This will require task analysis/implementation, time management, and teamwork. Meeting with Principal Roy Moral were Business Mentors Evelyn Lunsford and Gene Marshall, PASS Coach Mary Knox, and PASS Coordinator Sherry Clarke.
- Approximately 80 principals and their business partners met for the semi-annual Executive PASS networking session. The meeting was held at the offices of Boyd & Jenerette, P.A., which also hosted the breakfast, thanks to Council for Educational Change Board Member and South Miami Senior High business partner Roger Slade. Participants shared projects and ideas on successful strategies at their schools. The Executive PASS Coordinator in Miami-Dade is Boots Richards.
- New Executive PASS partnerships include: Shenandoah Middle – Principal Humberto Miret, Business Partners - Summer and Rafael Diaz, Ameriprise Financial; West Miami Middle – Principal Dr. Colleen Del Terzo, Business Partner Ryan Foley, John Hancock Financial Network; Benjamin Franklin K-8 Center – Principal Mary Ann Alonso - Business Partner Remy Dou, Mass Mutual Financial Group. Hialeah Hospital continues to work with Hialeah Senior and Hialeah-Miami Lakes Senior with a new Business Partner, Vilma Medio, representing the hospital.
Special Thanks to Everyone Who Supported the Council for Educational Change in 2012….
Advanced Roofing Inc.
Andres F. Idarraga
Automated HealthCare Solutions
Baptist Health South Florida
Barr & Zubrowski Architectural Studio, Inc.
Barry J. Glick
Beulah "Boots" Richards
Bilzin Sumberg Baena Price & Axelrod LLP
Blumberg Capital Partners
Carnival Cruise Lines
Cobb Family Foundation
Committee for Economic Development
Deborah L. Natansohn Foundation, Inc.
Dr. Edward F. Iwanicki
Dr. Elaine Liftin
Dr. Gail Quigley
Dr. Gerald Glass
Dr. Patricia Dixon
Florida Gulf Coast University
Gene E. Marshall
Helen M. Lane
Helena Rubinstein Philanthropic Fund at The Miami Foundation
Helios Education Foundation
Himan Brown Charitable Trust
Irving and Joan M. Bolotin Fund
Jason Taylor Foundation
Jeffrey S. Miller
Joan Peven Smith
Joan W. Newton
John B. Dexter
Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children
Lori R. Hartglass, Esq.
McKinley Financial Services, Inc.
Miami-Dade County Public Schools
Mr. & Mrs. Chris Korn
Mr. & Mrs. Edward T. Foote, II
Mr. & Mrs. Gary Chartrand
Mr. & Mrs. Russell B. Newton, Jr.
Mustang Brokerage Inc.
Phillip & Betty Casey Family Fund within the Community Foundation of Tampa Bay
Pompano/Lincoln Industrial, Ltd.
Premier Community Realty
Publix Super Markets Charities, Inc.
Richard & Susan Finkelstein/Sam W. Klein Charitable Foundation
Robert & Mary Graham Fund at Community Foundation of Tampa Bay
Sabria A. McElroy
Senator Jim Norman
Sherry & Gary Clarke
South Florida Charities Inc.
South Florida Youth Foundation
The Arthur and Sara Kobacker, Alfred and Ida Kobacker Foundation
The Jills Management, Inc.
A printable version of the Update is available for download below.
Council for Educational Change Board....Florida's Educational Think Tank
Gene E. Marshall, Chair • Dr. Elaine Liftin, President and Executive Director
Founder, Leonard Miller
Andrew L. Ansin* • Philip F. Blumberg • Hugh M. Brown* • Columba Bush* • Charles E. Cobb Jr.* • Irv Cohen • Scott A. Curtis • Dr. Akshay Desai
Edward W. Easton* • T. Willard Fair* • Edward T. Foote, II* • Karen Fryd • Dr. Robert W. Graham, III
Bill Habermeyer* • Steven T. Halverson* • Elsie Sterling Howard • Cyrus M. Jollivette • David S. Kenin Esq* • Jonathan I. Kislak*
Daniel W. Mahurin* • Beth G. Martinez* • Jeffrey Miller • Sue Miller • Robert A. Morris Jr.* • Robert Moss • Beau Parrillo • Fred F. Pezeshkan
Andrew S. Rosen • Peter S. Rummell* • Steven J. Saiontz • Michael Scheck* • Roger Slade • Elliott Stern* • Steven J. Uhlfelder
Keith T. Ward • Steven Wasserman • Lynne Wines • Dr. Paul Zimmerman • Robert A. Zinn *Life Trustees
3265 Meridian Parkway Suite 130 Weston, FL 33331 phone: 954.727.9909 fax: 954.727.0990 www.changeeeducation.org